Employment Tribunal Pricing For Employees
Thank you for looking at our services for Employment Law. We regularly advise employees on Employment Tribunal claims, Settlement Agreements and all other aspects of employment disputes. Our clients include everyone from directors and senior executives through to entry-level workers.
As an employee, you have rights under the law that employers must respect. If you believe you have been unfairly dismissed from your job, getting the right legal advice as soon as possible is vital. This will allow you to get a clear picture of whether you have grounds for a claim and what compensation you may be entitled to.
We offer clear advice and practical support to help you secure the best available outcome as quickly and simply as possible. We aim to be completely transparent about our pricing, so you can be confident our fees are fair and you are getting good value for money.
Paul Garner deals with all Employment tribunals, details of his experience and qualifications can be found on the Our Team section of this website. Paul is supervised by Sarah Adlam who is the Compliance Officer for Legal Practice.
Paul has years of experience, so will almost certainly have dealt with similar situations to the one you are facing many times. We will explore all the options available to you, helping you determine a course of action that fits your circumstances and personal priorities.
We know that value for money and overall costs really matter when pursuing an employment claim, so will provide you with a range of estimates and keep you updated on costs at all times. This way, you can be confident we are handling matters for you in a cost effective and efficient way.
If you decide to make an employment tribunal claim, we can offer strong experience in handling Employment Tribunal proceedings and appeals. Paul can provide the robust arguments, skilled judgment and lateral thinking needed to prepare your case and achieve the best available outcome.
Whether you wish to settle a claim or fight it at tribunal we will advise you on the best strategy for you and any additional fees involved.
We are proud to hold the Lexcel Accreditation issued by the Law Society. This involves the firm undergoing a rigorous audit process which ensures we maintain the highest levels of client care.
Pricing and Key Milestones
We will advise you of the funding options available to you, for example as an individual you may have insurance which can cover your legal fees.
All our costs are based on an hourly rate of £230 + VAT, and we have set out below the typical steps in a case and the range of costs of each of those steps.
- Initially we will take your instructions and then give advice as to whether you have a potential claim, the prospects of success and likely amount of compensation.
The cost for this stage is a fixed fee of £230 + VAT.
- If you instruct us to bring a claim we will issue any necessary ACAS pre-action conciliation request, discuss matters with ACAS and receive their certificate if the matter is not resolved at that stage.
The cost for this stage will be between £115 plus VAT and £460 plus VAT depending upon the amount of discussion with ACAS and whether there is an attempt to settle.
- We will take full instructions and prepare and send Employment Tribunal Claims to the Tribunal.
The costs for this stage will be between £230 plus VAT and £460 plusVAT depending on the complexity of the issues. A straightforward unfair dismissal or breach of contract claim is likely to be in the region of £230 plus VAT. If discrimination is involved or more complex matters, the costs are likely to be nearer to £460 plus VAT.
- Upon receipt of your Employers response we will take further instructions, deal with all directions of the Tribunal including disclosure of documents and preparation and exchange of witness statements and all preparation steps in readiness for the Hearing.
The costs for this stage are typically in the region of £2,300 plus VAT based on an average of 10 hours work.
- We will arrange representation at the Hearing, either by Paul Garner or Counsel
The typical Hearing costs are £2000 plus VAT per day, or part of a day, whether the hearing is dealt with by Paul Garner or by Counsel. Breach of contract claims are normally listed for one day. Unfair Dismissal claims are normally listed for two days. Discrimination claims are normally listed for two or more day.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel's fees are usually £2,000 per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).
Exclusions and Factors Which May Make a Case More Complex
In the event that the issues become more complex, we will make sure you are informed of this at the earliest opportunity and a clear estimate of those extra costs will be provided.
Factors that may lead to an increase in cost include:
- If it is necessary to make an application to amend your claim or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether you have a disability (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- If there are allegations of discrimination linked to the dismissal
- If you or your Employer decide to Appeal any decision of a Tribunal
- If we need to travel to court to represent you, the costs of travelling would be charged at 45 pence per mile plus VAT
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved.
If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 4-8 weeks from instruction. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 6-18 months from instruction depending upon the Tribunal involved and the length of the listing.
This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.